Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Asians and Amish and Flying Spaghetti Monsters, oh my!

This guy linked to me, and I found out. So I'm returning the favor. He thinks I have some kind of "uncanny" ability to find weird stuff on the Internet, but I must confess that I get it all from Fark--I just filter out so I only comment on the best ones.

Eighty years after the Scopes Monkey Trial, the latest legal chapter in the debate over the teaching of evolution in public schools is to unfold in federal court.
The Dover Area School District on Monday was to start defending its policy of requiring ninth-grade students hear about "intelligent design" before biology lessons on evolution.
I can't wait to hear how this one turns out. I am, however, a Christian evolutionist, so I don't really care how it turns out. I have to point out that India Daily's "technology" columnists would probably buy intelligent design. That is, that species have been shaped by alien intelligence, in the India Daily view. I also have to point out this tongue-in-cheek satire of the whole debate, Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, which has exploded in the month since it began.

Amish farmers fear their salvation is at stake if they are forced to use a proposed computer-based tagging system to monitor their livestock, officials said.
''[The Amish say] it is the beginning of the mark of the beast, and our Bible has told us of the mark of the beast,'' said David Matthes, state chairman of the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund.
Yes, you Amish must know everything about the Bible. Of course, let's just forget that people have been branding cattle for centuries. When you use a chip it's different, apparently. Yes, Amishites, let's also forget all about Christ's command to "Go and make disciples of all nations" and we'll just sit in our own little communities and not bother anyone.

Those crazy Asian-types . . . the Japanese (whom I love dearly for all the video games and anime they launch over the ocen at us) have named a tropical storm Longwang, disregarding the snickers of all the Western-types in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment