Sunday, May 02, 2010

Nebraska Metal

The other day I mentioned Cellador, the only metal band from Nebraska I was aware of. Metallattorney made the following observation:
Nebraska definitely is not a very big state for metal. Cellador is the most well-known band from the state. There are others of course, but none who have achieved the kind of success Cellador has. Which is saying something because they aren't really all THAT well-known. They've also been MIA for a few years now.
Well, of course there must be others, so I thought I'd poke around the web.

3D In Your Face

Well, this picture of vocalist/keyboardist "Hot Rod" should tell you everything you need to know about Omaha's 3D In Your Face. This is just awful, though they did do some recordings of a decent quality. But I can't stand hair metal. Let's move on . . . .

C4

This garage band from Wymore (a town of 1600) seems like they're probably on a better track, listing such influences as Metallica, Testament, Pantera, Black Label Society, Slipknot, and Goatwhore (which one one of these things doesn't belong here?). On the plus side, they do covers of White Zombie, Alice In Chains, and Slipknot. On the down side, they also do covers of Avenged Sevenfold. There's a video of them covering Drowning Pool's "Bodies" at this link, and even though the quality of the recording is bad, you can tell they aren't any good--especially not the vocals.

Dirtfedd

Now, Lincoln's own Dirtfedd is a group I had heard of before, mostly by seeing bumper stickers around town. Someone told me once they used to sound like Slipknot, but have gone in a more mainstream direction since then. (I know, many people think Slipknot is mainstream, but that's not the point--this is what the guy said.) Their MySpace says they are a metal / hardcore / industrial group, and Wikipedia says they are an industrial metalcore band, and are associated with such bands as Lamb of God and Corrosion of Conformity. They are on a completely unknown record label, E1. Well, let's give them a listen.



Actually, not bad at all. Better than Cellador, certainly. The Slipknot comparison is not terrible, and it is notably produced by Shawn Crahan (Slipknot's own clown). To someone who only knows what you hear on the radio, it's as good a comparison as any. I'm going to have to get that album, and do an in-depth review at a later date.

Looking for More

I would have hoped that being as isolated as we are from any major metal scene that we would come out with something completely different, but so far nothing like that. I may do more posts on the subject in the future, as I found out there is a Nebraska Metal Scene Magazine. I'll mine that for more. I don't know whether I'll actually get it or just google the band names on the cover, but I'm leaning toward the latter option.

1 comment:

  1. One band that I really liked, until they broke up was Mortal Dezire from Kearney. The band played some sort of mix of traditional, power, and thrash metal.

    Seppeku plays groove/thrash metal kind of in the vein of Pantera and Machine Head. They're from Omaha.

    Gravegouger was a pretty decent twisted death metal band, also from Omaha.

    There's also Ezra from Lincoln, Narcotic Self from Omaha, and some others. I've heard of quite a few really, but it can't really be said that we have a vibrant scene here.

    ReplyDelete