Friday, May 14, 2010

The Search for the Perfect Headphones: Sony Studio Monitor Series

Because of the annoying head noise experienced with earbuds, I decided I needed some nice headphones to use at work.

Luckily, my wife had a pair she wasn't using. They are Sony Studio Monitor Headphones, similar to the ones shown at left. The sound is actually quite good, especially for the under $25 price range. They are also fairly comfortable. Even though I wear glasses, I can wear these for about six or seven hours before they start to get irritating (I don't wear them during lunch, so there is a break in there).

The annoying thing about these--for me--is that the cord is very long and thick. I have to stuff several feet of it in my pocket, and since it's thick this is kind of awkward. For a stationary device like a stereo, this is probably a plus, but when you're using a portable device that fits in your pocket (like an iPod) it's a big downside.

On the plus side, though, they comfortably fit around your neck when you need to take them off for a minute.

These worked very well for me for quite some time. Then, we all got shuffled up at work, and I ended up in a cubicle near people who talk too much and have voices that carry very well. Then I realized that these headphones do absolutely nothing to block out sound.

The Verdict: Despite this shortcoming, they are a good choice if you're in a relatively quiet environment. I give them 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment