Wednesday, June 30, 2010

July 2010 Metal Preview

I thought I'd take today to discuss some upcoming metal releases and what I think about them before they're in my hands.

Out July 2 in Europe and July 13 in the US, melodic death metal superstars Soilwork give us The Panic Broadcast. This is one of the very first death metal groups I got into (partly because they're so accessible, as death metal goes), and they're still one of my favorites. In an interview, returning guitarist Peter Wichers stated, "I think that we're probably going to try to do stuff that might be a little more technical. We want to keep the element of the catchy chorus but at the same time maybe have bit more guitar solos than on Sworn to a Great Divide . . . ." I can't even tell you how much I want this album.

Jørn Lande will be releasing a tribute to the late, great Ronnie James Dio, called Dio. It comes out on the 2nd in Europe and the 27th in the US. It's not as if he's capitalizing on Dio's death or anything (nobody could record and release an album that fast). In fact, it's been in the works for over a year. It includes covers of Dio's Sabbath, solo, and Rainbow work, as well as one original song. I'm really looking forward to this one, though I'm not sure how much even a great singer like Jørn can add to the greatness of Dio.

Korn III - Remember Who You AreJuly 13 is when Korn III: Remember Who You Are lands. I was extremely disappointed with their untitled album, but other than that I have been a fan for a very long time. I find the chatter about it to be promising, and the title seems to be an attempt to pretend everything from Follow the Leader to the present never happened. That older stuff is certainly their best, so I'm going to hope for the best.

Christian deathcore band Impending Doom is releasing their third on the 20th, There Will Be Violence. I already had last year's The Serpent Servant, and this is really good stuff. I'm aware that deathcore is a bit of a fad right now, but these guys are near the top of the game.

Nightmare
Avenged Sevenfold is coming out with a new one. I could not possibly care any less. Their musicianship is good, and at least they're driven by a strong lead guitar, but I can't stand the vocals or the songs (outside of some of the leads). This one is strictly for teenagers.

Ah, Gloria Morti. They're an obscure blackened melodic death metal band from Finland. You read that right. Normally, when you mix black and death, you just get the more straightforward blackened death metal, like Behemoth. But these guys make stuff that is brutal and beautiful. Their 2004 debut Lifestream Corrosion proves that, I can attest, thought I don't yet have Eryx from 2008. Anthems of Annihilation comes out on the 30th, and I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard some good things about the Soilwork album, but I haven't particularly cared for much of their stuff for awhile. I'm looking forward to new Grand Magus, Witchery, Down, and Atheist. I also think Testament has one coming out this year.

    ReplyDelete