Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Monster Magnet: Mastermind (2010)

Review

Monster Magnet isn't exactly a metal band, but I'd be willing to bet 90% of their fans are metalheads. I've been a fan since the first time I heard them over a decade ago, and I was eagerly anticipating the release of Mastermind.

The stoner rock band's output so far this millenium has been hit and miss. 2001's God Says No was likely the band's weakest album; things started looking up again with the great Monolithic Baby! in 2004, but then 2007's 4-Way Diablo was another let-down. This is not to say that any of them are bad albums, but some of them aren't as good as we've come to expect from the band. Well, I'm happy to say that Mastermind is up to par.

"Hallucination Bomb" starts things off with a deep bass groove, and after a few seconds classic Monster Magnet guitar work comes in. Wyndorf's excellent vocal hooks make album standouts "Dig That Hole" and "Mastermind" worth the price of admission for the album. With his interesting voice and bizarrely humourous lyrics, even the obligatory monologue-like tracks "The Titan Who Cried Like a Baby" and "Time Machine" are worth listening to. There aren't any surprises here, but what's here is worthwhile.

The Verdict: Everything on the album is what you should expect from Monster Magnet, and it's good music--maybe not as good as their 20th century work, but it's above-average for this century. I give Mastermind 3.5 out of 5 stars.

If they continue this pattern, they'll release another great album in 2016, but you might skip the one that comes out in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I was a big fan of Monster Magnet in the late 1990's. I have not listened to them for a long time though. Dopes to Infinity is still their masterpiece in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete