Friday, May 04, 2012

Bar Review: Super Nova Summer Fest

Local Brew

Every city of significance has its own hometown band, that people love more than it deserves. For Lincoln, that's Dirtfedd. I know, not great.

Each city has its own hometown brewery. We have Empyrean Brewing Co. Again, not great. I've never been particularly impressed by anything they've brewed, although none of it has been particularly disappointing either.

Super Nova is Empyrean's summer festival ale. Like all Empyrean brews, it comes in a 6-pack of 12 ounce bottles for about $7. Like all Empyrean brews, it's just OK. It has that summery flavor, all mild and somewhat sweet with a hint of citrus, but nothing really special about it.

The Verdict: We could really use a better brewery. I give Super Nova 3 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. The less said about Dirtfedd the better. As for the Empyrean Brewing Co., my personal favorite is the Dark Side Vanilla Porter. I am a dark beer guy and love going to Lazlo's for that drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best of their beers, and at some point I'll post a review of it. I'd still prefer they were a better brewery . . . those two Tallgrass beers I reviewed were just so damn good.

    ReplyDelete