Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nephelium: Coils of Entropy (2012)

Savage Nomads

Guest review by Metallattorney. He is the law.

I don't really know what to call this quality that certain death metal bands have that appeals to me. Apophis has it. Cenotaph, the Mexican band, has it. It is this particularly savage riffing and vocal style that comes across as exciting and fresh. It is like the bands truly enjoy what they are doing and this enthusiasm comes across in their intensity.

Nephelium has the same quality.


I have listened to this album over and over again and the same thing jumps out at me every time. I love this album. The riffing is top-notch and the band really never gets bogged down with just one idea. There is a lot of variety in the music with tempo changes and some technical riffwork. The tracks are a little on the long side, none of the songs are less than five minutes and there are a nine minute song and a ten minute song, but that does not matter when the music is as good as this is.

I don't think I can pass up an opportunity to mention that this band is originally from Dubai, although they have since relocated to Canada. It is an interesting little nugget of information. I have not previously heard a metal band from the United Arab Emirates, so this is a first for me.

I am extremely impressed with this album. The intensity is infectious and this band has a very bright future.

The Verdict: 4.5 out of 5 stars



Buy Coils of Entropy

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. It's just filthy and nasty in the best possible way. I normally would just get the FLAC from bandcamp for something like this, but I had to get the CD, too, so I could have that awesome artwork in my life.

    ReplyDelete