Monday, July 22, 2013

Leviticus: The Strongest Power (1985)

On the Rock

I don’t normally bother with reviewing a reissue, but when a non-Christian label takes an interest in a long-forgotten Christian metal band, that’s something worth noting. I was intrigued, to say the least.

My son recently finished Vacation Bible School. The theme was “Kingdom Rock,” and as much as I enjoy watching the kids while they’re singing along to the music . . . the music itself can only be described as insipid. Leviticus could have saved it. Lyrically it’s all along the same lines, but it’s a lot more energetic and a whole lot less repetitive.


Sadly, I still don’t care for the music that much. The performances excel in every respect, and the production is superb. But the music is the kind that’s best enjoyed during the credits to every 80’s action movie. The heroes high-five, the camera freeze-frames, then Leviticus plays the first notes. I love Tango & Cash as much as the next guy, probably more, but I don’t own the soundtrack. This kind of super-uplifting music doesn’t really do it for me, hooks notwithstanding.

If you’re into polished, mid-80’s heavy metal designed for mass appeal, with soaring vocals and keyboard accompaniment, by all means you should check out Leviticus. For me, I appreciate it just enough to wish these guys would design their own Vacation Bible School theme.

The Verdict: 3 out of 5 stars



Ektro Records

No comments:

Post a Comment